This morning I woke up and my plan was to plant some flowers in the back of my yard along my fence. I went out got my hoe, and started hoeing. No luck, my ground is like rock! I tried another spot...again rock...I think I made an indention in the ground and thats it. So I came inside and did what I always do when I don't what to do...called Mama.
Mama is out of school for the summer so she came down here to help. We first went to Lowes. Our plan started out as just getting potted plants and putting the pots along the fence. Pots are expensive!!! So we just remembered what all was at Lowe's and went to Walmart. (This was after a phone call to Donnie to find out which plants will come back year after year). I wanted bright colored pots but they didn't have any, I ended up with these ugly silver ones. No plants at Walmart so back to Lowes.
While trying to find plants that will live in pots a guy that works there tells us that plants will not live outside in pots through winter. At this point I'm ready to just have an ugly backyard.
Mama comes up with a new plan...we'll plant the plants and just put mounds of soil around them. Now we have to pick out plants. After much walking around we finally leave with hydrangeas (I had to have these cause they remind me of my Granny), crape myrtles, 5 different green bushes, some other little smaller perenial flowers, and daylilies.
Then back to Walmart to return the pots and get cheaper planting soil. But for all you future gardeners: Lowe's is not that much more expensive than Walmart and the workers are much more knowledgeable. I'll be sticking to Lowe's for all my future gardening needs.
We get home around 10:00pm and go to work! Mama now notices a helicopter flying around with a spotlight. So we go in to watch the news to make sure there's no criminal on the loose. We see nothing...30 min later its still flying. So Mama calls the police station. The lady is very rude and mama's like "well I'm a taxpayer and I deserve to know why they are flying around spending my taxdollars." We're still not sure what was going on.
Back to gardening...I'm outside and Mama comes in to turn on the lights. She closes the door then realizes it locked. The fence gate is padlocked with the key inside the house. I have an extra key (from the last time I locked myself out) in front but we're fenced in now!!! Laura, its a good thing you made me go rock climbing...I climbed that fence like a pro. I sat on top and then jumped the 8ft down. So I ran around, got the key, and we go back to work.
We finally finished around midnight and my flower bed is the cutest thing ever!!! I'm so proud of it! I'm gonna take pictures of it tomorrow and post on here. I still need something in the center...I'm thinking some kind of fountain...let me know if you have any ideas!
Thursday, June 19, 2008
I'm a Gardener!!!
Posted by *MIRANDA* at 1:47 AM
